Life on Campus
Students are expected to respect the university environment that includes academic and social aspects. Therefore, each student enrolled at the university should wear appropriate clothes that are compatible with the values and principles of the Islamic community.
How many credit hours can students study per semester?
A student may enroll in not less than (12) credit hours and not more than (20).
Students may enroll in more than 20 credits if they have a high GPA or if they are graduating.
Can students register for the University online?
Continuing students may register online through the university’s website. Online registration is faster and allows students to participate in Early Registration as well. New students and students on academic probation are not permitted to register online.
How do students drop and add courses?
Once registered, students may drop or add courses in accordance with University regulations within the assigned time span (usually not later than the third week since the commencement of the semester). Students should inform their advisors and seek their guidance.
Is attendance compulsory?
Attending classes, whether theoretical or practical courses, is considered essential for students to remain in good standing at the university. Being absent for more than 3 sessions out of a 16-week course would mean that the student is not permitted to take their final exam for the course and shall repeat the course.
To whom may I speak about my academic or personal affairs?
Each department assigns an academic advisor to each student. Students should regularly consult their advisors and seek their help when the need arises. Students may also seek academic, social and psychological advice from the Student s’ Affairs Directorate.
Are lockers available at the University?
You may rent a locker where you can keep your books and other things. For an annual fee of 30 AED, you can apply for a locker.
What is the grading system of IAU-UAE Branch?
The final examinations are evaluated on a 0-20 scale with the passing mark standing at 10, 12, and 14 at the bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels, respectively.
What is the Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA)?
A student’s CGPA represents his/her grade point average for all courses studied at the University.
What is academic probation or an academic warning?
When bachelor students receive a Grade Point Average (GPA) of (12) or below at the end of any semester, they are issued a warning to inform them that their GPA falls below the acceptable level. Students who have received an academic warning will need to exert more efforts to raise their GPA above (12) and cannot register for more than 14 credit hours. Students are required to raise their GPA by the end of the following semester or they will be issued a second warning. Should a student receive 3 consecutive warnings or 4 warnings over his/her studies, he/she will be deprived from completing their studies.
The benchmark probation GPA for the master students stands at 14 with a maximum of two probation warnings.
Can students request the suspension of their studies (voluntarily)?
Students who have completed at least one semester may apply to suspend their coursework provided that they apply within the specified time limit. A student may suspend his study for a period of not more than four consecutive semesters.
What should students do to prepare themselves for the final examinations?
Students should prepare for final examinations as follows:
1. Settle all financial payments due.br/>
2. Present their university ID card at examinations. Students without their university ID will not be permitted to take exams.br/>
3. Abide by the university regulations pertaining to examinations and avoid cheating and any other activity that may disrupt the exam hall.
Is it possible to transfer from other universities to IAU-UAE Branch?
Yes, and in accordance with the following conditions:
1. The student should have successfully completed the study of at least two semesters or one whole year in a recognized university and his/her academic standing should not be less than 14 out of 20.
2. The student should meet the university admission conditions and the special requirements of the college to which he wishes to transfer.
3. The acceptability of the already passed credit hours shall be decided at the Scientific Committee of the relevant department and based on the compatibility of at least 80% of the course syllabus with that of IAU’s.
When may a student be dismissed from the University?
A student may be dismissed from the university in any of the following cases:
1. Violating the university By-laws and regulations pertaining to housing, examinations, general conduct, or when a disciplinary penalty is issued against a student to this effect.
2. Completing the maximum permissible period of study that is 10 regular semesters
3. Receiving the 3rd academic probation/warning after having made use of all other chances to raise his/her CGPA and remove the probation status:
– Receiving three consecutive academic warnings while studying in the same specialization,
– Receiving four inconsecutive academic warnings throughout his study at the university,
– Obtaining a CGPA of less than 10 out of 20 more than once throughout his/her study at the university.
Grants and Financial Assistance
The university offers different forms of financial assistance to the students including grants and fees deduction
– Deductions for siblings may amount to 10%.
– Deductions for spouses may amount to 10%.
– Deductions for faculty members’ children may amount to 5%.
– Deductions for top students as approved by the IAU’s standards may amount to 15%.
– Breaking the tuition fees into monthly instalments for those students who do not afford to pay wholesome with a proof.
Student’s general Conduct
Students who join the university for the first time have come into a new stage of their lives that entails learning certain rules and observing certain regulations pertaining to other people on campus and outside. Therefore, students are encouraged to behave responsibly with regard to dealing with others and with regard to their study. Life at the university requires a high level of responsibility and participation in the various activities that the university organizes.
We hope that our students will abide by the regulations of the university and avoid doing anything that may negatively affect their status.
Students need to know that smoking of any form or type is strictly forbidden in all the facilities of the university including buildings, halls, and outdoor areas.